Friday 20 April 2012

Popularity and Paranormal Reality Shows

The popularity of paranormal subculture has been growing by leaps and bounds.  With such shows as Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State, and many others the trend will likely continue. What about these different shows makes them a success?

When I watch Ghost Hunters I always find myself drawn into the show because they have a very scientific approach. Some hunters go in expecting a haunting and tend to find one because they are expecting it. Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson go at it with the intent of debunking the haunting. They do everything they can to find other reasons for the occurrences. I like this because it reminds me that for all the stories that come through the line up, about 80% of them will not be paranormal at all. They keep grounded. Even during the shows they record. It isn’t about showing the scariest thing they get on film, but to show that even though there is activity out there not all of it is true. They show investigations where nothing at all is going on. I call this my number one favorite because they keep us all honest when we experience what we go through.  I, as a paranormal enthusiast, always wish to determine any other factors before believing what I am told. I think that for all hunters out there, this is a true sign of professionalism and respect for the job. For all those who follow this method, I very much salute you. You are doing the field justice and representing all hunters with pride. All these reasons are why they are my first choice.

Now the other side of the coin in regards to entertainment how can we not talk about Zak Baggins, Aaron Goodwin, and Nick Groff.  You know them as the Ghost Adventures Crew. These guys are crazy. It is no wonder they get results because their method is to go in and provoke until something happens. You poke a bear enough times it is going to show its teeth.  They show the creepiest of their adventures and keep the stories coming.  Some of the footage they show is remarkable and frightening. Truly something every hunter loves to come across I have no doubt. My favorite episode was at Bobby Mackey’s. They had a static x camera set up and you clearly saw a full sized figure towards the back of the room move across. It was definitely hard to ignore.  They have time and time again captured some of the most ground breaking footage I have seen and until anything ever comes up to show that they have in some way faked what they have caught, I am definitely a Ghost Adventures Crew fan. These guys know how to get the job done. That is what makes them number 2 on my list.

Now for my third pick, I would have to go with Ryan Buell and the Paranormal State team, PRS. What I find intriguing about their show is the way they show the systematic break down of their investigation. They show you their entire approach to the investigation. They give you interviews from all the members, they show you what they are researching and why, they show you the walk through, they also bring in their selected psychic for the show. I really enjoy Chip Coffey, but I like Michelle Belanger as well. Also no matter what anyone says, Lorraine Warren looks like the sweetest little old lady. If you didn’t know who she was you would never think she was a highly renowned demonologist and sensitive. The show is great because they do a good job of showing the struggle that the people they are trying to help are going through which makes you really empathize with the victims. You feel like you are going through it with them and actually can connect.  This is why I would place them as number 3.

I have only listed my top 3 favorites but in all fairness, I really enjoy all paranormal shows. I enjoy some quite a bit more than others I admit. They all bring something to the table in terms of knowledge and entertainment.  The recreation method of A Haunting is always wonderful because they make it almost like watching a movie. Ghostly Encounters also for their method of recreation but also with the narration that gives added life to the story. They all have their appeal in one way or another. They are also good for information for hunters out there who are still getting their feet wet, but also for veterans who are looking for ideas they have not yet tried. There is something for everyone out there and for this reason I will always be a fan. One of the best things they do is that they bring light to a subject that has far too long been taboo. They help bring awareness to a major subject and also show people out there that these things are happening and nobody who thinks they are alone are actually alone. Others out there are also experiencing things and there is help out there for them. Keep those shows coming, and we could use more of them. They bring a unity to the paranormal community and they bring peace of mind to the scared and confused.










No comments:

Post a Comment

We are listed at the www.topparanormalsites.com website. Click here to vote for us.. Thank you :-)